Thanksgiving was just a few days ago. I had hoped the weekend would give me some time to reflect, to regroup, and to return to this blog. Unfortunately (but also gladly) it was full of preparations, fun with family and friends, and it seems more and more precious time to spend with Danny. I'm hoping to catch you up on what's been going on, but I also hope I don't gloss over some of the important emotional hurdles I've come to as I try to recap the events of the last couple of months. In all, this time so far has taught me to be appreciative of how lucky I feel, I am, to be alive, to be loved, all which allows me to love others in the best way I can.
So here's the October update...
10/1
I am so desperate to make friends at work, that I go against my rule and go out for drinks with some of the guys. At least it will be many of them. But, I get off work much later, so I end up spending an hour alone with one of my make colleagues. I was a bit nervous when I saw him at the bar by himself, and thinking I'd have to balance the friendly/flirtation scale. But it's better to act cold than to be mistaken as flirtatious right? At least I was blatantly mentioning Danny and our marriage and bragging about him being a musician, and it just so happened there was another woman at the bar that I was helping him flirt with. Whew. I could take on the role of wingman. Still, it was a bit trying, and I reminded myself that I don't have to be friends with everyone. My rule: make only girl friends. Stick to it Michelle. I go home and enjoy a movie marathon. I end up staying up late, but I don't have to get up early tomorrow.
10/2
OPA Lamb Roast today. I was sure that the party would not start on time, so I arrived an hour late. Greek time I thought, but even that was too early. But I guess it's better early with fewer people to engage in more meaningful 1 to 1 conversation. And I focused my attention to girls. It felt good to socialize in this Greek church environment again. Father John makes me feel welcome in this community as well. He does a good job making everyone feel like a part of the extended family. That night, in a good mood from the party, I feel confident enough to move Danny's car across the street.
10/3
I went to church.
I had dinner with Nicole at Punjabi in the Lower East Side. Apparently its a cabbie favorite and great for a $5 Indian meal. I thought it was ok. I had the samosas. I probably should have had the pick-3 meal. And no onions next time. It was fun to hang out 1 on 1 with Nicole. Girl time! And she brought a cupcake from Eleni's. Girl time is a necessity. No mani-pedis tonight, but I was glad for bonding time. We started talking about possibly Halloween costumes, and possible hair color changes. I was thinking of being Gadget from Rescue Rangers (and Danny to be Splinter from TMNT) so we could both be rats together. So I thought I would dye my hair blonde. I had already tested it out on Hairmixer.com but didn't really feel like paying a whole bunch of money. As I was surfing online, Timeout.com led me to this site called hairapprentice.com where I found a listing for someone who needed a hair model with virgin hair to dye! perfect. I set up my appointment for the next morning.
10/4
Hair adventure. This was sort of impulsive of me to go ahead and color my hair, but it was free, so I was willing to do it. My stylist, Raye, was doing her apprentice program at Arrojo Salon (of What Not To Wear's Nick Arrojo fame). I felt famous wearing the Arrojo salon robe. Cheeseball. We end up going for a toffee color on my hair, rather than blond. I was a little nervous because there was a lot of consultation going on behind my head with the teachers. I guess that's better that she was checking in rather than going totally off student instinct. My hair looks pretty cool. She also told me that Arrojo salon does free blowouts on Thursday mornings. I might do that. I love getting my hair washed and styled.
I check in with Danny and am excited to show him my new look. He ended up visiting with my parents while he was in San Diego. I feel touched that he is getting more involved with my family. We are a family now. All together. I am feeling more connected, even if they are thousands of miles away.
Again in a good mood, when I return home I move Danny's car across the street.
10/5
At work, I can't wait to see Danny again. I always love when he comes back to me, but today is special because it is our 9 year dating anniversary. Danny decides to take me to Capri Caffe on Church. I had eaten soup there before, but this is nice to go there for a dinner. It's not too expensive, and it is a tiny place with only 5 tables and the food cooked right near your table. The plates are pleasantly mismatched and the silverware has that antique look on each filigree. It feels like a special night, but also comfortable. They bring out a complimentary dessert of melon with sugar. We walk around Tribeca, and I show off my work building, enjoy the neighborhood, and of course make sure to stop by the Ghostbusters fire station. At home we watch Up In The Air on Netflix. It was actually a good movie.
10/6
After work I go to another GAFS dance practice. I'm feeling a little better about going, but still feel like a newbie outcast sometimes. Ria drives me to the M station so that I don't have to make a double transfer on the subway.
10/7
Before work, I meet up with Dawn and Jeff at a coffee shop in Clinton Hill (coffee bagel something?) to discuss me taking over the website and facebook responsibilities for the Trojan alumni club. Seems like an easy enough task. In the back of my mind I'm thinking... oh, there is gonna be drama. oh, once i start volunteering, I'm going to keep doing other things. It's like an addiction. I hope I don't spread myself too thin. At least I'm only trying this out on a 3 month period. We'll see how it goes.
After work I go with Danny to his gig at Building on Bond. He played with Tess and Rachael, and he even ordered me an apple pie a la mode :)
10/8
After work, I was expecting to hang out with Laurel, but she was caught up with ComicCon stuff. I ended up walking around Times Square for a while looking for something to look at. Danny is out of town again. What else do I have to do? Does this seem desperate yet?
10/9
I finally catch up with Dani on the phone. Is this when she tells me she's pregnant? Perhaps. I'm so happy for her. I wish her the best for a happy and healthy family.
Tonight I'm going to a fundraiser event with Emilia. She got entry to Re:Form School in the LES through the organizer. We look smashing, and walk into an old school that has been renovated into an art gallery with a school theme. It's pretty cool, with open bar, a dj, and celebrity hosts. We look for somewhere to ditch our coats, and end up in the staff only area. Not sure why, but I say that we are volunteers. Well, I do volunteer enough. That seemed sort of ballsy of me. For adventure's sake. When we were done mingling, Emilia headed over to meet up with Kain, and I headed to Astoria to meet up with Jeremy, Jon, Cindy, and Jess for Octoberfest! Oh yea, I wore my scarf as a dress. Classic me. It was good times, just too bad it had to take me so long to get home. But I did not want to spend $26 on a cab ride home. Just walk quickly home with a mission.
10/10
I mustered up my strength to get up for church. And on time too to make it for choir at 1030am. Well, close enough. It was good to sing again. And in church. I also felt appreciated.
Danny got back in town, and we found out that Lisa would be in town too. We made her some pasta for dinner and hung out in Williamsburg that night, watching new Bon Ton Parade band-mate, Rafael, and his band play at Rose. I spent some girl time with her traipsing down the Williamsburg strip, getting free ice cream tastes from Wolf, and buying books on the street. Actually, the most memorable moment with Lisa is our heartfelt conversation on the couch. Sharing how much, even through all our stressful and trying times, we still feel lucky, thankful, blessed. She reminds me that I can't just be thankful, I have to remember to thank God. Even if I can't explain it fully, somehow thanking God makes me feel more connected with my self adn my life.
10/11
In the morning, we make breakfast and watch the "hide yo kids, hide yo wife" Antoin Dodson and other auto tuned videos. While I'm at work, Danny takes Lisa to Astoria before he takes her to the airport, and runs into a musician he knew from San Diego I think, and does some quick networking. Funny how coincidence works. Luck. Blessing. I don't know. But I am thankful. The more good energy I give to the world, the more the world gives back. Once we realize how much we are connected, we can find ourselves.
That night, one of the professors shares the most delicious cheesecake brulee with me. Yum.
Haha, nothing to do with my previous statement, but had to mention it.
10/12
Danny and I decided to have a breakfast date at Colador. Hadn't been there in a while. The bagel and locks was soooooooo amazing delicious.
After work, I had to go ruin my stomach with Atomic Wings. Just because I could. The damages of excess.
10/13
Danny makes me a bagel sammich for breakfast.
he makes me a tuna melt and yogurt for lunch. I actually like the Breyers fruit on the bottom.
I've been following the Chilean Miners story on CNN.com and see that Rachael posted that they're all out! Thrilling! Again I feel blessed. Also, every time I think of Rachael I am intrigued by her Bahai faith. I decide to learn more about it rather than feel estranged to it. Bahaism is actually quite interesting.
I go to GAFS again for dance.
10/14
Had a mini-date tonight. Danny and I made mahi-mahi at home, then headed to Building on Bond for Danny's gig with The Sweet & Low Down. I've begun touting myself as a professional audience member :)
10/15
After a 40 hour week of work, my Friday nights usually end with nap time. So exciting.
Danny left for another weekend tour with Miss Tess.
10/16
I decide to be spontaneous. Why not go to Boston for the weekend? I hop on a Lucky Star bus in Chinatown and $15 and 4 hours later I'm in Boston's Chinatown. Of course I check to make sure there's a place for me to crash there. I meet up with Danny near Fenway and we walk around Guitar Center for a bit and then head to Newbury. One of the streets is blocked off because I think President Obama was speaking at the convention center that day. I remember noting that the area looked so clean... almost like Downtown Disney. We meet up with Charlie (Danny's brother who is attending Berklee School of Music) and grab dinner at Moby Dick and eat it back at his place. They didn't have 3 of our favorite items, but we still had a delicious meal. We head to Passim to catch a Cuddle Magic show. They had the full 8 piece band (or 9?). They have such a unique style that is still digestible. Afterward we head to Beehive to catch the Sweet & Low Down. Danny isn't playing tonight, so I get to enjoy drinks and dessert with him in the audience. I'm glad I could spend some extra time with him. There is a classy sort of ambiance in the place, but still relaxed enough to allow for jean clad beer-drinkers. I recognize the background from one of Miss Tess' music videos.
10/17
We wake up early to go to Lesley College so the Miss Tess group can play the open house brunch for Lesley College.
When we get back to the house we nap, then they drop me off at South Station so I can take the bus back to NY. This time it took longer because of the rain.
10/18
Shopped at LotLess at lunch. Nothing exciting that night.
10/19
Danny came home and did laundry. My hero! I folded.
10/20
Danny made me a burrito for breakfast. After I got out of GAFS dance practice I went straight to the Smith/9th stop in Brooklyn and Danny picked me up to go to Sunny's in Red Hook for Tess' birthday. Whiskey & Ciders are warm and delicious!
10/21
Tonight is the NY Trojans event at Glass House. It wasn't a packed house, but I had fun mingling with some new faces, and of course seeing friends again. We had an ice-breaker bingo activity that reminded me of undergrad days. After that I took a few people with me to Rodeo Bar to watch Danny play with Miss Tess. He got us 2 platters of buffalo wings! How thoughtful. We shared a pitcher of beer and enjoyed the music. At one point in the night Tess called me into the spotlight. I thought she was going to make a song dedication to me, but actually she was just asking me to pass the tip jar around. Ha. I do my duty ;)
10/22
A quiet night. Danny goes out of town again this weekend.
10/23
I meet up at St Constantine & Helen's at 9am to head to St. Basil's (near West Point) to visit the kids at the orphanage. We play basketball, bbq some burgers, kick the ball around, swing on the tire swing. Cali, this energetic 17 year old with pink hair is great. At first I thought she would be standoffish, but I ended up talking quite a bit with her. I had to remember how to normal-people talk. You can't talk to kids the same way you network. I got good at that at USC events. I had to get real. They reminded me that it's ok to be real. Maybe I'll be real at the networking events too. The leaves are changing, so it is so beautiful up there. The air is so clean! Emily and I got to swing with 7 year old Sam in the back play area. We found out he couldn't go pumpkin picking because he got in trouble earlier that week. We drove over to the farm grounds and I got to spend time with Jasmine. She is one of the more outgoing teenagers, and she prides herself in making friends with others in her high school rather than just sticking with the St. Basil's kids. She is going to the homecoming dance tonight and is describing her outfit. I wish I could stay longer and help her get ready. On the hay-tractor ride Zack shows us his blue tongue (from the candy) and we munch on some apples picked from the trees. Oh, they also had these awesome fresh donuts (sugar and cinnamon) and a hand-pumped water well. I had a great time with these kids, but also got to bond with the OPA group that I came with. This is a great community to belong to.
10/24
I miss out on church and choir to hang out with Corina, Kyle & Britney again at Purple Yam, this Filipino place in Ditmas. I had my heart set on Langonisa, but had to settle for Tapa instead. It was delicious of course, but I still had my craving. We walked around the nabe for a bit because we were so full. It's a nice area. We're considering moving to that area next year. Oh, on the way to brunch I talked to a stranger walking along with me on the street. I found out he was on his way to see his dad in the hospital. I quick connection, but a good one. Brooklyn is friendly that way.
10/25
I got into the cleaning zone after work. Had to have the place spic & span for my hubby's return home to me :)
10/26
Met up with Jeremy, Jon and friends at Verlaine in the LES. Cool place but wanted something cheaper, so took them to Welcome to the Johnsons. Met some awesome Asians. Spilled two of my drinks. Danny and the boys joined us later too. Shared the Monocle Man song with Jeremy & Jon. Yay. Pinky up!
10/27
GAFS again after work. Got a ride to Steinway again, but the M was running via the F line so I had to go through Manhattan to get home. Arrgh. But I think it is during this wait that I get the idea to change up our Halloween costumes.
10/28
It's OXI day today. Look it up. Danny took me out on a date tonight. We eat dinner at home then head to Park Slope to pick up some Halloween items. We decide to go with the Dead Artists (Frida Kahlo & Salvador Dali) look. We grab a few drinks at Smiths while a raucus band plays, but moreso focus on the World Series game.
10/29
I didn't realize it takes me a little while to get used to Danny after he comes home from a tour. We have a long talk tonight. We have a boring time. But a good boring time. If that makes any sense.
10/30
We head on the subway to the PATH to Hoboken to hang out with Graydon & Britney. As we walk we realize that we should have worn costumes. It's the Saturday of Halloween weekend, we should have known all the crazies would be out tonight. For some reason I thought it was ok because I was wearing a red & white striped button-down and I said "I'll be a popcorn!" and instantly started laughing because I realized that Danny had no idea what I was talking about. It made no sense. But it made sense to me. I was red & white like a popcorn box. I felt silly. But good to be silly with Danny. I was starting to feel comfortable again with Danny. We hang out with B&G and end up staying the night. They are great hosts. That night I kept thinking their pet ferrets escaped from their cage and were running around the living room.
10/31
We have brunch with B&G in Manhattan at Braai. Food was interesting, but I didn't really like the sausage. It had a weird texture to me, and I'm realizing more and more how important food texture is to my personal taste preference. We had to go home to get ready for the Halloween party in the Kensington house. We prepped the vodka apples for bobbing for apples the night before. As I was looking for a tub for the apples, I found this great cane for Danny's costume that looked just like Dali's, and it was only $2. We let the boys do more prep at the house, and Danny and I had some Chinese food down the street. The neighborhood kids were trick-or-treating in the local stores (inside the chinese food place, and the dollar stores too were giving out candy). Back at the house, we got ready and I figured out how to make our skull faces look relatively realistic. Pictures should be in the October album link on the right.
And so ends October. A fun run. What did I learn? Be real. Be spontaneous. Be silly. It's ok to be fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment