
It was only a 2 and a half hour drive from Phoenix to Sedona, up and down a few windy roads, that I was thankful Danny has been driving this whole time. On automatic transmission I'm fine, but he just taught me to drive stick last week! Needless to say, I'm afraid to take on uncharted territory in a machine I don't feel I can fully control.
Sedona is beautiful! The red rock formations bring up memories of Meteora, the ancient rock formations in mainland Greece. Just a different color, of course. I wonder if monks or priests ever thought to scale these ridges and build monasteries atop. Just a quick stop for lunch at the Creekside Cafe (full name escapes me right now), and musicians were just beginning to set up for their 11am set.
On the road again, the open plains before us, and plenty of cheesy looking tourist-trappy Indian Village signs up ahead. I thought about stopping to see the Biggest Petrified Tree, but thought against it. Aunt Sue told us we had to stop at ALL roadside attractions, but we had to get to Dani by dinnertime, and I didn't much regret missing it.
We arrived at Dani's house, a beautiful home indeed, to greet her and Jon and their two dogs. She is my college roommate and she's known her husband almost as long as I've been with Danny. We went out to Sadie's, a New Mexican food restaurant, for dinner. I was craving a bowl of posole, but the waitress said they only serve that during Christmas time. I was disappointed, because I had a great taste of it at Dani's wedding a few years back. But I was redeemed with a taste of sopaipillas, a sort of bread that has been puffed up and deep fried and can be eaten as is, or with your meal, but best with a drizzle of honey. D-Lish-yuss!!! I could eat those all day. That and a few margaritas made for a great evening out :)
No comments:
Post a Comment