After a quick gym workout, we packed our bags for Chicago. Of course I had to stop at White Castle for my first taste of this east coast glory. Tasty indeed and for only $3. But I paid for it later. Processed foods on a road trip. Remember to pack some Pepto.
I couldn't think of eating later when Danny wanted to stop at another Subway. Good thing he saved me half his footlong.
It was during this drive that I finally broke down. Two nights in uncharted territory and confined in this moving metal box with Danny heading to another larger but seemingly confined metal box I'll call in my mind New York. Away from my family and with just Danny to be my glue. I was holding in my emotions. I was planning so much for our trip, all the logistics of packing and mapping and reserving and communicating... that I did not communicate to myself what a big sacrifice this is for me. To do this for Danny, but also for us, means that I'm leaving everything I built up as my reality for the last 18 years or so since we moved from Greece. I tried thinking that I've made a similar move when we moved from Athens to San Diego, but I was 7 then, and probably not as invested in my previous life. And I was moving with my family unit (except for my dad, who would follow a year later). It was a lot simpler as a child. I knew I would be taken care of. And as much as Danny says he will take care of me, I can't help but need to know that I can take care of myself. I need that power. I need to be in control. But Danny did say that when you start feeling out of control, that's probably when you should be asking for help. I love him so much. I hope that we can make it. If we can make it there, we'll make it anywhere...
We reached Roberta's place, with dry eyes and smiling faces. She had it all set up for us to go out to dinner with her and Fiora. Both wonderful ladies and both remembering the Schaffners and Wellers fondly. Our dinner at Pizano's was memorable not only because we had what Oprah call's the best thin crust pizza, or because our waiter "Chach" was the embodiment of Chicago color commentary, but because we got to connect with Roberta and Fiora. My favorite part of this adventure once again is becoming related to our relatives!
We decided to call it an early night and to meet up again for breakfast with Fiora at a place on the corner near Sandburg Terrace.
No comments:
Post a Comment