Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 5: Kansas City

4/20/2010

Today was a shorter drive, and we only stopped at Subway for lunch at a roadside Love's gas station. I couldn't believe it was only $2.69 per gallon! We've been getting great mileage throughout... knock on wood... about 32 mpg. Good job little blue Saturn.

Before leaving OKC, I got online and looked for a good deal on hotels.com but found the ratings outdated, so went onto google maps to locate hotels in the Kansas City downtown area. Ratings on google search tend to be on the harsher side, so to see this place get decent marks was appealing. When I called the Comfort Inn in downtown Kansas City, the person on the line was very personable and helpful. I made a reservation, and for just $15 more than we spent the night before, we got a great King non-smoking room with access to laundry, internet, pool, and gym. And we actually got up for breakfast! Yummy waffles, danishes, hardboiled egg, and FRUIT finally! We'd started developing some vitamin deficiencies, I surmise as my trips to the rest-stop toilets had become more frequent...

That night in Kansas City we got a bit lost finding the Arthur Bryant's for some Kansas City barbecue. Oh. My. Gracious. Rib tips never tasted so good with this smoky yet tangy sauce. Fries and pickles completed the meal. Then we went to find some jazz in the Jazz District no less, but the only thing going on was a Spoken Word Poetry jam in that area. We headed down to the downtown area to see what we could see. Kind of sparse, but we ended up at a bar called Johnny's for $3 beers then the bartender recommended the Phoenix down the street for some music. We landed at a jazz jam!

Kansas City, thanks for a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment