Thursday, April 15, 2010

Packing

The hardest thing about packing is the decision to pack instead of spending time with loved ones that I won't see for a long time. Yet as much as they offer to help me pack, or keep me company while I try to organize my life into boxes and suitcases, I decline. I need to be alone when I pack. I need time to process mentally what I want to pack in the car with us for immediate use, what we will ship (and receive once we have an apartment to mail our boxes to), and what we will store here in San Diego until we decide what our next life milestone will be. It's taking me longer than expected because I'm looking at every article of clothing, at every piece of paper I've accumulated and can't let go of the emotional value. And it reminds me again of the people I could be seeing.

I tried to "pack in" as many social visits as possible. At a our big gathering at Red Fox on Sunday night, so many friends showed up to wish us bon voyage. I guess I should mention that my husband and I (we've been married for 9 months now... yes we did the joke "hey it's been 9 months and we have big news... no baby, haha, but another huge change") are moving to New York. We have known eachother since 7th grade at SDSCPA but didn't start dating until 12th grade. So, we have accumulated a lot of friends, both individually and as a couple, in high school, in orchestra, in college, at work, in my church, in his life as a professional musician, and of course our combined family... I can say I feel blessed to know that there are such lovely people in the world. People that make me optimistic about the future of the human race.

These memories weigh heavy and float lightly in my mind at the same time, and will be packed snugly into the trunk of our Saturn Station Wagon in between Danny's bass and my duffel of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment