Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 9: Chicago with the Adaos, landing in Cleveland

4/24/10

This morning began with Spam and eggs and pancakes and surprisingly delicious Folgers semi-instant coffee. We continued to taking turns to "ma li ligo" (to bathe, in Tagalog), and instructing Danny on how to use a "tabo" (the smaller bucket that we use to scoop water out of the bigger bucket for which to bathe). I'm glad that I'm able to share this part of my life with Danny. I don't think he (or many of my friends) know about this part of my growing up. Only that I have a tendency to use my hands when I eat sometimes, but rarely in public... and growing ever rarer at home now.

Danny go to bond with the girls by playing Smash Brothers, then we headed out for a "pashial" (an outing). We went to walk around Soldier Field and Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum, and found lots of fun climbing the jungle gym that was "the world" as we climbed atop and named the continents and located a few known points on the map.

When we tired of this we went to Navy Pier for lunch and more of a walkabout. As my "ate" (older female sibling) Lynn and I walked arm in arm, I felt and enjoyed our deeper connection. I miss my mom and sister in our embrace, but I also feel closer as well. Saying goodbye to the Adao family is bittersweet in this way as well.

I know that tonight we reach Cleveland (and a free night at the Comfort Inn, thank you special rewards points!), and tomorrow our final descent so to speak on New York City. This particular trip is shoring up, but our new life together is just beginning to crest.

No comments:

Post a Comment