Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 8: Museum with Roberta, evening with the Adao Family

4/23/2010

We woke up for breakfast at 930 at (INSERT NAME). It was nice to have some more time with Fiora. Roberta then took us on the 151 bus toward the Art Institute Museum. There we took in some great art, including the big Matisse exhibit, but also some Picasso, Chagall, O'Keefe, and other names I couldn't remember but appreciated all the same. I'm never good with this name thing. I had an almost argument with Danny about remembering names. Actually it was more of an internal argument with myself. Why can't I remember names of artists/musicians/songs? Is it that I don't care to remember? That can't be, because I appreciate the art. Maybe I just appreciate it in the moment so much, that I don't store it for long-term memory. That's a personal thing I have to explore. Nevertheless, I developed some eye-fatigue from all the art we soaked in. And a bit of a neck cramp (or maybe it was from sleeping on the wrong side of the bed last night).

After the museum we had a nice lunch at the Park Cafe right under the Bean. Smoked salmon club sandwich. Yum. They had a great olive tapenade. Good service, but we missed the charm of "Chach".

We took the 22 back to Roberta's, but on the ride Danny developed a headache from the horrible odor that we had to sit with on our 10-15 minute ride. We couldn't tell exactly if it was coming from the homeless man sitting across from us, because I remembered smelling it from the moment we entered the bus. I figured I'd better start getting used to it if we're movign to New York. Who knows what smells, and sights, we'll encounter there.

After packign up our things at Roberta's, she said she would take us to my cousin's apartment in Little Italy. We decided to keep our car safe in her complex's garage. Then we'd get a ride back to pick up the car when we head on the road. I was a little afraid at first before meeting Roberta in person, because I had never met her and didn't know what to expect. With the Browns, at least I knew them from our wedding. She has been just as kind and welcoming. We had a great time with her (and Fiora of course) and look forward to visiting again.

I'm not sure if Danny was feeling nervous to meet my cousins. He has never met the Adaos and this was the first time we'd be spending the night with someone on my side of the family. Of course Danny was as great as always at being social and open. Clariza and Camille were a bit shy at first, but I played some volleyball with them in the backyard, and we all played some Wii games a bit later in the night so I feel like we're beginning to make a connection. After picking up Ate Lynn from work, we ordered thai food and enjoyed it at the Adao home. I'm glad we are here. It makes me feel more at home to be with my side of the family. I know that I have Danny, but having my blood relatives closeby makes me feel a little less homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment